Monday, August 20, 2012

Mini Meatball Tortellini Soup



I got this recipe from the September Rachael Ray Magazine. I will share the recipe from the mag, but you can also do what I did and increase the ingredients to make more meatballs and after you cook those, set the extras aside and you can have another meal (meatball sub, meatball pizza, spaghetti and meatballs, etc) I love when I'm able to do this with recipes because it helps me out after a long day at work when I don't feel like spending a long time cooking.

  • 1/4 lb ground beef
  • 1/4 lb ground veal
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
  • 1 cup grated parmesan
  • salt and pepper (to flavor meatballs)
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 2 carrots (the recipe called for them thinly sliced, I cut them in chunks because that is what my husband prefers)
  • 1 package tortellini
  • 5 oz baby spinach leaves ( I bought a bigger package and added a little more because this is one of my favorites)


  1. In a large bowl mix together the beef, veal, breadcrumbs and 2 tbsp water till combined.
  2. Add in egg, parsley and 1/2 cup parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Make the meatballs (try to make them uniform in size and smaller than your usual meatball) and set aside so they are ready to cook.
  4. In large nonstick skillet heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat, add meatballs in a few batches and cook till browned, about 4 minutes.
  5. Transfer to platter covered in paper towels to drain.
  6. In large dutch oven or soup pot bring chicken broth, 2 cups water and carrots to a boil over medium high heat. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
  7. Add the meatballs and return soup to simmer. Add the tortellini and cook about 8 minutes.
  8. Stir in the spinach, cover and cook until wilted about 5 minutes.
  9. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with remaining parmesan. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment