Sunday, September 16, 2012

German Dumplings


My grandma was an amazing cook and baker and I got my love of cooking and baking from her. I wish I had some of her recipes, saw this one while browsing online at food.com and it reminded me of the dumplings my grandma made. My grandpa was German and my grandma was Irish so when they got married my grandma learned a bunch of german recipes to make. These were always my favorites.

  • 1 1/2 lbs potatoes
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 egg
  • 2 slices sourdough or white bread (from the bakery)
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil

  1. Trim crust off bread and slice into 1/2 inch cubes and fry in butter and vegetable oil till brown on both sides. When done transfer to paper towels to dry
  2. Cook unpeeled potatoes in salted boiling water for about 45 minutes, till tender.
  3. Drain, cool slightly and peel. Cut potatoes into large chunks and put in bowl in fridge for about 30 minutes to cool.
  4. Mash potatoes with fork or ricer.Add salt, nutmeg, flour and cornstarch. Combine with your hands. Mix in egg.
  5. Form into balls, about 1/4 cup each. Insert bread cube in center of each ball, making sure bread cube is completely covered.
  6. Cook in batches so they don't stick together. Cook about 10 minutes, till dumplings float to the top
  7. Transfer to a bowl and cover with a damp kitchen towel to keep from sticking while you make remaining dumplings.
I served this with egg noodles and my favorite mushroom gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment