Monday, November 19, 2012

Lamn Bolognese with Pasta

I'm a big Michael Symon fan and was so happy when his new cookbook came out and I got to meet him and have him sign it. He was the nicest guy ever and was so friendly. This recipe is from his book Carnivore, his recipe makes it with cavatelli, but it's great with any pasta.I mixed two pastas that I had a little bit of each left that had the same cooking times. This recipe makes a lot of sauce, so glad I will have sauce for another night this week after work.


  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 lbs ground lamb
  • kosher salt
  • 1 cup diced red onion
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup diced carrot
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 28oz can whole plum tomatoes
  • 28oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 6 sprigs oregano
  • 2 lbs pasta
  • 1 cup fresh mint, torn
  • 1/2 grated parmesan cheese
 I used one of my favorite wines from here on Long Island
The sauce as it's simmering
 
  1. In a lg pan over medium-high heat add olive oil and lamb along with a big pinch of salt. Cook lamb until browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
  2. Add the onions, garlic and carrots to pan and cook until softened and start to brown. Deglaze the pan with red wine and stir. Cook until nearly evaporated.
  3. I added both cans of tomatoes and used my hand blender to blend it down, but the book doesn't have that written, I just didn't want a really chunky sauce tonight. The original recipe only calls for one can of tomatoes, I added two to increase the sauce for another night.
  4. Add lamb back to sauce, add bay leaf and oregano leaf, simmer about 2 hours and remove bay leaf and oregano sprigs.
  5. When the sauce is ready bring large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta. Remove pasta from water, cover with sauce, mint and parmesan. Serve immediately.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment