Monday, December 3, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie


This is a first for me, have never made or remember eating a chicken pot pie. I wanted to make something different for dinner and Kyle suggested these. I probably never ate one because most of the time they have peas and that is one of the few vegetables I hate. So my version has no peas, but please feel free to add peas in if you like them. I added extra mushrooms and 3 kinds of potatoes (red, white and purple, to give it some color I left the skins on). You can add one type of potato or whatever type is your favorite. I made these in small ramekins for individual servings, you can use a larger dish, but will have to adjust the cooking time. I also had leftovers of the filling, which I froze to make these another night. I love recipes that make extra so I can have an easy dinner after work one night.

  • puff pastry (you can also use your favorite pie crust or refrigerated pillsbury pie crust)
  • 4 lg chicken breasts (cooked and chopped up)
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 2 cups chopped carrots and mushrooms
  • 6 -8 small potatoes chopped
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp water
  1. Melt butter on medium high heat and add flour, continue stirring till combined.
  2. Slowly add milk and chicken broth, while stirring and whisk out all the lumps.
  3. Add garlic
  4. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occassionally until mixture thickens up
  5. Once thickened up, turn heat down to medium low and add carrots, mushrooms and potatoes.
  6. Cook about 5-10 minutes and add chicken
  7. Preheat oven to 350
  8. Use ramekins as a guide to cut toppers out of puff pastry, cut a little extra so hangs slightly over sides.
  9. Fill ramekins with chicken mixture
  10. Mix egg and water for egg wash
  11. Put egg wash around edges of puff pastry circle so it adheres to side of ramekin. Brush tops with egg wash.
  12. Cook 18-22 minutes until pastry is golden brown.
  13. Let cool slightly before enjoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment