I made this cake for my sister's birthday, I doubled the following recipe, but didn't double the almond paste. I made fondant butterflies for the top and sprinkles along the sides. I also changed up the food coloring to a turquoise, yellow and magenta
- 3 sticks softened butter
- 1.5 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 8oz almond paste
- 1 Tbsp pure almond extract
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- red, green and yellow food coloring
For the ganache:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12oz semisweet chocolate
- Butter and flour 3- 9" round cake pans and preheat oven to 350
- Cream the butter and sugar till fluffy, add eggs and beat for about 3 minutes. Add the almond paste and extract and beat till well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour and baking powder and slowly combine with almond paste batter.
- Separate the mixture evenly into three bowls and dye each mixture a different shade.
- Pour each colored mixture into individual cake pans and smooth out the top. Bake approximately 20-25 minutes until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack. While cooling combine cream and chocolate and microwave 1.5-2 minutes, stirring in 30 second intervals.
- Start with the pink layer and spread with raspberry jam, top with yellow cake and spread this layer with jam also. Top with the final green layer.
- Use an offset spatula to spread ganache evenly over cake. Let set in refrigerator and serve.